Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ikat Inspired Mani

Hey guys!


Today I have a manicure that's inspired by Ikat prints. Ikat is a very intricate technique that is used to dye threads before weaving them into a textile. This process produces a tribal or tie dyed look, and can be found on everything from pillows to hand bags. Below are some examples of Ikat prints:


Ikat prints courtesy of http://www.designsponge.com/


While looking for some new mani ideas, I found some Ikat nail decals. I love the idea of nail decals, but I do my nails so often that I don't like spending money on decals, which can last for a couple of weeks. So, I decided to try to paint my own Ikat inspired nails. For this mani, I used OPI Fly, OPI Conquistadorable Color, and OPI Did It On Em'. First I applied my base coat, and 2 coast of Fly. After that was dry, I used Conquistadorable to paint on some random "blobs". The best thing about this mani, is you don't have to do it perfectly.




After that dried, I put smaller blobs of Did It On Em' inside the pink blobs. (I meant to take pictures after every step, but I kept forgetting!)


Using a black nail art brush, I made short brush strokes to outline the pink and green. You want this step to be "choppy" to look like the dye is running into the fabric.




Once you're done apply a top coat and you're finished! I love how this turned out, even though I could have done a neater job. This is a prefect nail art idea for a beginner, or someone who isn't confident in their nail art yet. It was super easy, and all it takes is polish and some patience.


Thanks for stopping by!







Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment